Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Blast from the (Orange) Past


Talk about small world or full circle or what-have-you.  The UT alum club here (along with Angela from the Alumni Assoc at UT) recently hosted an event/speaker on the best UT president.  When I saw Dr. Wheeler on the bill, my Bill helped cover the kiddos after work so I could attend.  

Dr. Wheeler is an amazing storyteller, historian, and former professor of mine. He and Dr. Askew led our first year Whittle seminars (right Guns or Carver?) and also served as emeritus director of the Honors Program.  Little did I know or remember that he grew up in NC, undergrad at Duke, Masters at UNC and PhD at UVA, though he cheers for UT basketball despite all of that ACC heritage.  

Before his hour long talk, we had a lovely time getting caught up and I updated him on all of my peeps - stories of marriages, careers, babies, etc.  For what it is worth, Dabney was the best president according to Dr. Wheeler.  I look forward to buying his updated UT history book when it's published and will let you Vols fans know when it's on sale.  

Go Vols!

1 comment:

Mark said...

Glad you were able to catch up with him. Sounds like an interesting program, too. Also glad to hear that they will soon be publishing an updated UT history. Please do remind me if or when you see it.