Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Texas Exodus...

So the end is here.  We closed on the sale of our Texas house last week.  I flew back to DFW to oversee packers and gather up the few items that we needed b/f the big truck came to visit us in NC.

Aside from unloading two attics in 108 degree heat, the rest of the loading wasn't that bad.  The movers were pros and very helpful. It was strange to be back in Texas after such a long time (3+ months since the last trip).  I was a little nostalgic as I packed some of the boys things, went on my last few sizzling bike rides, and ate some Tex-Mex with coworkers.  Despite my consistent complaining about so many things in Texas, I am grateful for our time there with friends and family - and our two Texan souvenir kiddos - let's just hope they don't become Dallas Cowboy Fans!

On Tuesday, the packers finished about 4pm, and I was left with an empty house.  I cleaned up and wandered around before deciding to do something that I meant to do the last few years we were in Texas.  Go to Oklahoma.

Several years ago, my sister and I started a competition of how many states that we could visit.  The rules were that we had to stay at least one night- driving through or stopping in the airport didn't count.  The last few years this competition has been a quiet influence on some ski trips and other getaways.  I had a few failed attempts to go to Oklahoma, but with this my last scheduled trip to Texas for a while, I knew a trip to Oklahoma would be even trickier to complete in the future.  

So I drove from the airport hotel (where I was planning on staying) to the Winstar World Casino in Oklahoma (about 1hr).  Not being a big gambler (Ms. Schwangston is the pro), I played about an hour of $1min Blackjack and managed to leave the Winstar with $16 more than I came with (if only I could say that about our house sale).  I didn't get the "Rain Man Suite" at the Winstar, but  after living in a basement apartment for the last 6months, I don't have high expectations.  I left the Sooner State with my total at 32 (I still have some work to do in the Great Plains, North East and North West).  Feel free to let me know where you are in the comments.

Thanks for reading...

1 comment:

Kristen said...

You are such a dork and I love it! I an going to have to tally up my state total and see where I am too. I am sure you have pulled ahead ;)