Thursday, May 21, 2009

Spicy Wedding...

Our apologies for this late post on the LA wedding a few weeks back. I just haven't been able to get this post together, but here's the update.

The Schwangstons have been to several dozen weddings over the last ten years or so, with experiences from just about every angle (brother and sister of the brides(s), Matron of honor, Man of honor, groomsman, bridesmaid, and just good ole guest.) Maybe I'll take that internet course and marry one of you off one day.

Before I was engaged and married, I didn't really get weddings, the "I Do", dancing, cake, and open bar. Those were the highlights. During our engagement, I didn't fully appreciate the weddings that we attended b/c I was thinking about the emotions and details that we would experience in ours. Now that we are veterans (ole married folk), I can relax and definitely appreciate the experience so much more. This enlightenment made our experience in Louisiana where our UT buddy Miss Elizabeth Guenther (aka Guns) wed Mr. Brandt McMillan a much more memorable experience.

Guns got married in New Iberia at the same church where her parents wed some 30+ years earlier (classic, right?). The church is located in New Iberia, the heart of Cajun Country, and the reception was on Avery Island (home of Tabasco - we took a tour, but C was knocked out for the whole thing). Linen & seersucker suits were almost the dress code, with eau de Off in the air.
The setting for the rehearsal dinner and wedding reception were very old South. Two historic homes on Avery Island, tucked in between oak trees with Spanish moss hanging down like curtains. The mosquitoes might have been the only things that ate better than us. Rich Cajun food along the lines of jambalaya, oysters, crawfish grits (our favorite), shrimp - so so good. Toasts to the bride and groom, stories of lucareauxs (cajun werewolf), cries of "Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulez!" added to the charm of the evening.

We haven't been to many destination weddings. This one is up there all time for sure, and we were thrilled that we were able to make the trip. Congrats to the newlyweds.

Thanks for reading...

1 comment:

Mark said...

Great post and great pics. Sounds like it was a very memorable experience. Love the pic of you two at the bottom - so grown up and classy.