Wednesday, April 22, 2009

It Ain't Easy Being Green...or is it?

Mother_Earth.gif

Happy Earth Day peeps.  

We recycle our fannies off and fill up 2-3 bins every Wednesday.  At parties, we will bring home a box of recyclables if the host does not do it (then we really look like a frat house come recycling day).  Yep, we have a compost (well kind of, but that's another blog for another day). We've been using cloth bags at the market (shout out Doc Eric), Target, shopping, etc.  for quite some time - the good news is that we get less strange looks/sighs from the checkers since now it is a bit more trendy.  Whole Foods will even credit you 10 cents a bag on your bill.  

Earth Hour event in March and energy efficient light bulbs - check.  I read this suggestion in Real Simple last year and keep a pail in the shower to catch runoff water for our house plants. At my beloved Starbucks, I bring a travel mug, earning a free upsize or 10 cents off depending on the location.  Bike rides and quick walks to the nearby store instead of driving - you betcha. In looking to buy a fuel efficient sedan by year's end to replace the '97 Accordian), I test drove a hybrid Camry the other day too (it's a bit higher than my car budget, but I could not resist).

Internet, what are you doing to leave the earth a little cleaner, prettier for Carter/yourself/fill in the blank? Please share your suggestions and comments below...

From proud tree huggers (that's for you, Kennedy), 
The Schwangstons

Update - I just read Katie's blog and laughed out loud.  Can you tell that we are sisters? 

4 comments:

Dan said...

We have LED Christmas lights and use Green Dimes to reduce the junk mail sent to our house. I am not sure why I am telling you this, but Katie told me to add it. Nice blog by the way.

ksp said...

Happy Earth Day Schwangstons! We've got some green going on down here and DP hit a few of the things not noted on our blog.

Kristen said...

go green team Schwangston!!

Heather said...

I'll play (sorry, this got long quick). :)

*we avoid disposable goods, instead using dish towels, real plates (even on picnics), dish rags, cloth diapers, cloth wipes, cloth/washable mop, cloth rags, etc. I was even inspired by the Schwangstons to not save cloth napkins for special occasions.

* we buy in bulk when possible to limit packaging.

* we make most of our household cleaners out of biodegradable/green ingredients that somehow resemble salad dressing (vinegar, oils, water with the occasional use of baking soda and borax)

* we switched to soaps and shampoos that are phalelet, paraben and SLS-free. We condition hair with apple cider vinegar.

* we ditched the fabric softner and instead use vinegar.

* we line dry our clothes after they are washed in an HE washer.

* when our HVAC croaks (can we time it for the tax credit, please!?!) we have already scoped out a super energy efficient one.

* we seek a used option first. For furniture. For household goods. For clothes and toys for the kids. Hanna Anderson, Gap and Gymbo make clothes that could hold up for a half dozen kids.

* we mow our lawn with a reel-mower.

* we subscribe to a CSA for local, organic veggies and planted fruit bushes for hyper-local/backyard, organic summer fruit. I am also trying to organizing a neighborhood garden for this summer.

Where I struggle: a source of local, organic eggs and dairy, limiting beef in Judson's diet, kid-related water waste, and bikes to more easily avoid the car on family trips.

Bike suggestions?